Upcoming Canadian TV Anime Serial ‘Urbance’ (Dystopian World, Gender Wars)
In the big city, gender war rises. Sex is prohibited because of a genetic deadly virus. Ruled by hate and anger, boys and girls grow up apart from each other, forming rivals gangs. Among these lost teenagers, Kenzell and lesya will fight adversity and defy all the rules in order to live their love and restore peace.
This. Looks. AMAZING.
Welcome to my new series! Here, I want to confront some of the problems with the discussions that seem to surround women in anime and manga. I’d like to offer a series of suggestions about how we might talk about these characters in a productive way, and here’s the first. It’s useful to discuss…
Preach it. For any media, there ought not to be this kind of language and the intent behind them. Also, keep in mind that whatever that has been portrayed in anime and manga can be through a distinct cultural lens that may not reflect exactly on how Western people see them. So also, avoid ethnocentrism.
So, I’ve done a little digging for a few things about this cartoon:
- Her name is Marinette Cheng
- Toei, Zagtoon and Method teamed up to do this…
- …and this is not technically, totally an anime (I’m 50/50 on this) because this will be released in France and Belgium before Japan. (So this is technically Franco-Belgian too?)
- The two characters Ladybug and Chat Noir have luck based powers. A ladybug is a symbol of luck in France. So she has good luck, while he has REALLY bad luck.
- Marinette’s Red Earrings that give her powers are inherited, while Chat Noir’s (literally Black Cat in French) Black Ring cannot be removed….So he literally has bad luck all the time.
- Chat Noir thinks winning Ladybug’s affections would finally get that darned ring off, and he can finally be normal. (Awww, User Friendly?
Aside from that, there are more animal themes like the Pidgeon and the Butterfly (a Japanese touch?) the symbol of reincarnation and another luck symbol depending on which country your in (mostly it deals with the afterlife).
Who wants to bet the Mysterious Organization’s name is something along the lines of Papillion?
I adore anything that’s a deconstruction, and I cannot wait to see this! (I think I’m in love with the organization leader and the mime already)
For more information please visit: http://zagtoon.com/?p=shows&s=ladybug
It’s a magical girl series. In France. In a collaboration between Toei Animation and French animation studio Zagtoon.
There are many things to want in this. Mostly in having it released.
…. ???? The end of Utena, er… I mean, it was epic, but WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED??
Revolutionary Girl Utena is best understood as an extended allegory for sexual abuse. I also understand that it was commented by Ikuhara that the only three ‘real’ characters in the show are Utena, Anthy, and Akio.
Cut for spoilers, as well as TW for rape, abuse and incest.
Toei Animation teams up with the French studio, Zagtoon, to produce a superhero magical girl series, Ladybug. [link]
I am so excited for this I can barf.
The quality here is so ridiculously heartbreaking, I don’t know what to do with myself. It’s in France, it’s about magical girls, and it looks amazing.